How can people get help from Iowa Legal Aid?
Iowa Legal Aid is a not-for-profit organization providing critical legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Iowans who have nowhere else to turn. Along with volunteer lawyers throughout the state, Iowa Legal Aid helps the legal system work for those who cannot afford help with legal issues. Below are a few ways to contact them directly.
- Call 1-800-532-1275 between the hours of 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday*
- Walk into a regional office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday*
- Complete an online application at www.iowalegalaid.org. If you have a court appearance or other deadline in the next two business days, do not apply on this website. Instead call 1-800-532-1275 for an emergency intake.*
- Go to Iowa Legal Aid outreach locations. Iowa Legal Aid attorneys meet with clients throughout the state, partnering with organizations on a set schedule. Attorneys are at Elderbridge in Ft. Dodge the first Thursday of the month, Burlington County Courthouse the first Monday of the month, the Hola Center Legal Clinic in Des Moines the second Monday of the month, Central Iowa Shelters and Services in Des Moines every Tuesday afternoon, plus many more outreach locations.
- Use the Iowa Legal Aid website: www.iowalegalaid.org. Legal information and forms are available on the Iowa Legal Aid website. Not only can you peruse the website on your own, but there are resources to assist with finding information on the website (LiveHelp) as well as a more focused tool for locating legal help (Iowa Legal Help Finder).
*Emergency Issues are handled during open hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., either by phone or by walking into the office.